Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Monday, February 8, 2010

Welcome to the 2nd trimester!

Snow, snow, snow! 20+ inches on the ground from the weekend storm, and another 10-20 forecast for tomorrow! Truly like nothing i've ever seen.

Sorry for my absence. I've heard from a few friends that they worry when I don't at least post to say that everything is fine, so I will try to get on here a bit more regularly.

So as you can see from the title of this post, I'm now officially in the 2nd trimester! Last Friday was the end of the 13th week/beginning of week 14. Happy to say that the nausea is mostly gone! I still feel very tired at times but I think that will be the case for most of pregnancy. The belly is growing, though for now I just look fat and feel bloated. I want my cute little belly bump! Pants are no longer comfortable, so when I am home I wear pj pants and when I am out I use this fun contraption called a belly band which holds up my pants even though they are unbuttoned underneath the band. Tomorrow I am going shopping with my mom for maternity clothes! I love shopping in general, and this type of shopping is particularly fun (i hope)!

My friend's sister has a fetal doppler that she is very kindly letting me borrow! We used it for the first time this morning and heard the baby's heart beating. This is very reassuring to me since it's been 3 weeks since my last appointment! My next appointment is Feb. 17 and i can't wait!

The combination of getting to the 2nd trimester, hearing the heartbeat, and seeing the expanding belly have inspired enough confidence in me to start thinking about baby gear and registry! Holy moly is this overwhelming! I went to Buy Buy Baby today to get out of the house and left feeling very dazed. I have a lot to learn! So I am going to take this one step at a time, concentrate on learning about one item and then move on to the next. PLEASE comment and give me advice/share experience if you are so inclined!

First up: cribs.
At BBB they had these convertible cribs that can turn into a toddler bed and then a regular bed. Is this worth it? Also, what about right after baby is born? Is it worth it to get a bassinet or moses basket? Where did you order your crib and what brand? Anything in particular to look out for?

5 comments:

  1. Just sent you a big email with crib stuff. FYI BBB is a GREAT store to register at, because they will take ANYTHING for returns. Even if you didn't get it from that store, as long as they sell it, they'll take it back!
    -R in FL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recommend a bassinet or moses basket. We used one for the first 6 weeks so she could be in our room. It is nice and small so she didn't feel lost in a big crib. Early on we had her nap in the crib so the transition from one to the other at night was super easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations!

    We had a Arms' Reach Co-sleeper we used for the first 6 months. This meant Noah could sleep next to us in the room but not in bed with us. We also had a moses' basket for naps. I bought one for $5-$10 on Craigslist. That's a great way to get some things you won't be using for long. Same with the Arms' Reach if you decide you want one.

    Our crib is Munire. Realible and solid construction but nothing fancy as far as design goes. It converts to a full bed, but not a toddler bed. I've heard the toddler bed if often unneccessary.

    Are you thinking about names yet?

    Have fun!
    - C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sending you my 'mama's suggestions' list. Enjoy your pj's on your snow day.

    -db

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great post!! I'm going to put in a request for some belly pics on here as soon as you start taking some! And, good call with registering at Buy Buy Baby. We, unfortunately, don't have one here, but back home we do and they seemed to have a MUCH larger selection than BRU does. You're probably going to change/update your registry a million times - so my advice is to just start with something, and then you can always go back to it once you do some research (again, and again, and again...) - I absolutely LOVE our crib. It's from PB kids. The finish is SO nice/smooth/easy to clean and it looks really nice, too! Happy shopping!

    ReplyDelete